Farenholt (DD-332) was launched 9 March 1921 by Bethlehem
Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco, CA, sponsored by Mrs. Richard H.
Fairweather, and commissioned 10 May 1921, Commander N. W. Post in command.
Farenholt first arrived at San Diego, her home port, 28 May
1921, and joined the Pacific Fleet in its yearly schedule of exercises and
maneuvers along the west coast from the Pacific Northwest to the Canal Zone.
Gunnery drills, proving torpedoes, acting as plane guard for seaplane-carrying
battleships and cruisers, fleet problems, and practice war maneuvers with the
Army kept Farenholt almost constantly at sea, playing a part in the
development of naval warfare which was to make possible the great victories of
World War II.
In 1924 and 1927, Farenholt passed through the Panama Canal
for fleet concentrations in the Caribbean, and during the second cruise, sailed
north to visit Norfolk, New York, and Newport before returning to San Diego.
Between May and August 1925, the destroyer sailed to the Hawaiian Islands for a
fleet problem and joint exercises, then sailed on with the Battle Fleet to
visit Pago Pago, Samoa, and ports in Australia and New Zealand, returning to
the west coast by way of Honolulu. Again in 1928 she sailed to Pearl Harbor for
large scale exercises in Hawaiian waters.
During the summer of 1929, in her last year of service, Farenholt cruised
the west coast with Naval Reserve members embarked for training, visiting
Victoria, B.C., as well as United States ports. She was decommissioned 20
February 1930, and after scrapping, was sold as a hulk 10 June 1931, in
accordance with the terms of the London Treaty limiting naval armament.