The second Blue (DD-744) was launched 28 November 1943 by
Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, N.Y.; co-sponsored by Mrs. J. S. Blue and
Miss Eleanor Stuart Blue, widow and daughter, respectively, of Lieutenant
Commander Blue; and commissioned 20 March 1944, Commander L. Ensey in command.
Blue reported to the Pacific Fleet in July 1944 and joined TF
58 at Eniwetok Atoll, Marshall Islands. While screening the fast carrier task
forces, Blue took part in the Volcanos-Bonins-Yap raid (31 August-9
September 1944); capture of the southern Palaus (6 September-14 October);
Philippine Islands raids (9-24 September); Luzon raids (5-6, 13-14, and 18
November and 14-16 December); Formosa raids (3-4, 9, and 15 January 1945);
Luzon raids (6-7 January); China coast raids (12-16 January); Honshu and the
Nanset Shoto raids (15-26 February and 1 March); Iwo Jima assault (15
February-4 March); and conquest of Okinawa (17 March-6 June). Blue was
damaged by the 5 June typhoon off Okinawa and retired to Leyte for repairs. Her
repairs were completed in time for the destroyer to join the 3rd Fleet for its
attacks against the Japanese home islands (10 July-15 August).
On 27 August Blue captured the 5223-ton Japanese submarine I-400
off the coast of Honshu and brought her into port. She steamed into Tokyo Bay 2
September and remained at anchor at Yokosuka Naval Base for two weeks. She then
steamed to San Francisco arriving 5 October 1945 and shortly thereafter sailed
to Puget Sound Navy Yard for complete overhaul. Blue completed her
overhaul in January 1946 and was assigned to Destroyer Division 92, 7th Fleet.
On 10 February she departed the west coast for Asiatic waters, via Pearl
Harbor, Guam, and the Philippines, and arrived on the China coast 13 May.
During the remainder of the year she cruised in the Yellow Sea, Philippine
waters, and around the Marianas Islands engaged in tactical and hunter-killer
anti-submarine warfare exercises and performing patrol duty. She returned to
the United States early in 1947 and on 14 February 1947 was placed out of
commission in reserve at San Diego.
On 14 May 1949 Blue was recommissioned and assigned to
Destroyer Division 72, Pacific Fleet. After undergoing overhaul at San
Francisco Naval Shipyard between June and September, she returned to Pacific
Reserve Fleet and was decommissioned at San Diego 12 December 1949.
Blue was again placed in commission 15 September 1950 and
reported to Destroyer Division 131, Pacific Fleet. After engaging in training
exercises off the coast of California, she departed San Diego early in 1951 and
arrived at Yokosuka, Japan, 23 January. She operated in Korean and Japanese
waters until August. During this period she steamed with TF 77 off the east
coast of Korea, carrying out screening, lifeguard, and fire support duties.
Late in 1951 Blue proceeded to the United States for a general overhaul
at San Francisco Naval Shipyard. She returned to the combat area in April 1952
and resumed operations with TF 77 off the coast of Korea. During
September-October, with TG 95.20 and TF 76, she performed patrol duty and
provided gunfire support during salvage operations.
Returning to the United States in November 1952, she underwent
overhaul and engaged in scheduled exercises off the coast of California until
June 1953. On 13 June she departed Long Beach, Calif., and arrived at Yokosuka
7 July. On the 17th she resumed screening operations with TF 77 off the east
coast of Korea. In September she cruised off the south coast of Japan with TG
96.7 and patrolled off Formosa until 19 October when she returned to Korea. She
returned to the west coast in December 1953.
Since that time Blue has carried out the normal operating
routine of Pacific Fleet destroyers. She has conducted several tours of the Far
East and during the intervals between these cruises has conducted local
operations and type training along the west coast.
Blue received six battle stars for her World War II service
and six battle stars for her service off Korea.