Dyess (DD-880) was launched 26 January 1945 by Consolidated
Steel Corp., Orange, TX; sponsored by Mrs. A. J. Dyess, widow of Lieutenant
Colonel Dyess; and commissioned 21 May 1945, Commander R. L. Fulton in command.
She was reclassified DDR-880 18 March 1949.
After her shakedown cruise and conversion to a radar picket
destroyer, Dyess sailed from Norfolk 7 November 1945 to join the 6th
Fleet at Tokyo Bay 19 December for occupation duty in the Far East. She
returned to San Diego 16 December 1946, and on 6 January 1947, got underway for
the east coast, arriving at Norfolk 23 January. She served in local training
cruises until August of that year when she sailed to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to
escort President H. S. Truman embarked in Missouri (BB-63) as far as
Norfolk when he transferred to the Presidential yacht Williamsburg (AGC-9)
which Dyess escorted to Washington, DC.
Dyess arrived at Newport, RI, 27 September 1947 for local
training operations. After a tour of duty with the 6th Fleet in the
Mediterranean from 29 October to 14 February 1948, she returned to her home
port of Norfolk. Until the end of 1958 Dyess made nine tours of duty
with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean, patrolling to preserve peace and
engaging in exercises with NATO forces. She also sailed on two midshipman
cruises, one to southern Europe in the summer of 1948 and one to Halifax, Nova
Scotia, in the summer of 1951. The remainder of her service has been as varied
as her capabilities. She has acted as plane guard during the qualifying of
pilots in carrier operations and has joined in hunter-killer exercises,
amphibious training, and large-scale fleet exercises. She assisted in the
evacuation of American nationals from Suez during the tense situation which
developed during her 1956 Mediterranean cruise. In the summer of 1958 she
joined in strengthening the free world's defenses with NATO operations in
Dyess operated along the east coast and off Cuba in 1959, and
on 25 July arrived at Charleston, SC, her new home port. On 29 January 1960 she
sailed on her tenth deployment to the Mediterranean.
Dyess returned to Charleston, SC, in August, and in October
entered Charleston Naval Ship Yard, where she remained until the end of 1960.