The Anchor, from the USS Aaron Ward (DM-34) was first
installed in front of Navy Club of Elgin Ship No. 7 on State Street and remained
there until the Club went out of business. It was reinstalled at the Bluff City
Cemetery at the corner of Lincoln & Highland in the GAR memorial section on a
hill overlooking the Veterans Section.
The left plaque was the original dedication and reads:
"This ship anchor from the USS Aaron Ward
was presented to
Navy Club of Elgin Ship No. 7
Mr. & Mrs. Harry J. Schroeder
In memory of their son:
Laverne H. Schroeder--Seaman Second Class USNR
Killed in Action May 1945 off Okinawa while serving aboard this destroyer."
The right-hand stone reads:
"This anchor rededicated: Labor Day 1971
By: Elgin United Civic Association & Elgin Trades Council"
Courtesy of John D. Cowan