SAVE THE DATE! The Tin Can Sailors 2024 National Reunion Will Be Held In Exciting, Historic New Orleans From Sept. 8th-12th. More Information Coming Soon, Check Our Facebook Page For Future Announcements.

Hull Number: DD-887

Launch Date: 05/26/1945

Commissioned Date: 10/01/1945

Decommissioned Date: 12/03/1973

Call Sign: NJDF

Voice Call Sign: Dough Boy, Adjuster



Data for USS Gearing (DD-710) as of 1945

Length Overall: 390’ 6"

Beam: 40’ 10"

Draft: 14’ 4"

Standard Displacement: 2,425 tons

Full Load Displacement: 3,479 tons

Fuel capacity: 4,647 barrels


Six 5″/38 caliber guns
Two 40mm twin anti-aircraft mounts
Two 40mm quadruple anti-aircraft mounts
Two 21″ quintuple torpedo tubes


20 Officers
325 Enlisted


4 Boilers
2 General Electric Turbines: 60,000 horsepower

Highest speed on trials: 34.6 knots



Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (Published 1959)

Born in Chicago 4 July 1916, Harry Brinkley Bass graduated from the Academy in 1938 and was designated a Naval Aviator in 1941. During World War II he commanded two fighter squadrons. Lieutenant Commander Bass was killed in action when his plane crashed in combat during the invasion of southern France 20 August 1944.


Fram I. Transferred to Brazil, as sale, on 12/03/1973 as MARIZ E. BARROS (D-26). Stricken 9/1/1997.


Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (Published 1959)

Brinkley Bass (DD-887) was launched 26 May 1945 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Orange, TX; sponsored by Mrs. Percy Bass, mother of Lieutenant Commander Bass, and commissioned 1 October 1945, Commander P. W. Winston in command.

Brinkley Bass conducted her shakedown cruise in the Caribbean and then proceeded to San Diego for duty with the Pacific Fleet, arriving February 1946. From San Diego she proceeded to Shanghai, China, via Pearl Harbor and Guam, for duty with Commander, Naval Forces, Western Pacific. Upon reporting in the spring of 1946, Brinkley Bass served as mail ship between the naval commands at Shanghai, Tsingtao, and Hong Kong.

She returned to San Diego in February 1947 and during the spring participated in extensive training exercises off southern California and underwent a yard overhaul. Brinkley Bass departed San Diego in February 1948 for her second tour of the Far East. She returned to California in October 1948 and spent the winter operating out of San Diego.

In November 1949 she reported to Commander, Naval Forces, Far East. She participated in Far Eastern Air Force defense operations, conducted training, and patrolled in Tsushima Strait. She returned to the United States in June 1950.

On 6 November 1950 Brinkley Bass departed San Diego in company with Destroyer Division 52 and proceeded to the Korean War zone. On 25 November she joined TF 77 for support of carrier operations off the east coast of Korea. During one period of 53 days she remained constantly at sea. On 16 May 1951 she reported to TF 95 for duty with the Wonsan Harbor Bombardment Element. During 30 days of operations at Wonsan Harbor she was engaged in frequent bombardments of enemy shore installations inflicting great damage. On 20 May 1951, while engaged at Wonsan Harbor, Brinkley Bass was hit by shells from enemy shore batteries which killed one and wounded nine of her crew.

Destroyer Division 52 was relieved on station at Wonsan 27 June. On 18 July Brinkley Bass, after a most successful combat cruise, proceeded homeward to San Diego, arriving 6 August. Brinkley Bass completed another Far Eastern tour during January-26 August 1952.

Between 18 April 1953 and January 1954 she conducted another Far Eastern tour during which she spent most of her time underway with TF’s 77 and 95, with a few brief interruptions such as the Formosa Patrol, Wonsan Shore Bombardment Element, and hunter-killer exercises.

Since that time Brinkley Bass has completed three more Western Pacific cruises ending her eighth deployment early in 1957.

She received seven battle stars for her Korean service