Hull Number: DD-143
Launch Date: 06/19/2018
Commissioned Date: 11/29/2018
Decommissioned Date: 10/23/1940
Namesake: JOHN JOLIFFE YARNALL
JOHN JOLIFFE YARNALL
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (Published 1981)
Born in Wheeling, Va. (now W.Va.) in 1786–was appointed midshipman in the Navy on 11 January 1809. Between 1809 and 1812, Yarnall cruised the coastal waters of the United States in Chesapeake and Revenge performing duty that was tantamount to blockading his own country to enforce President Madison’s embargo on trade with the European adversaries during the Napoleonic Wars. In 1813, he was transferred to Oliver Hazard Perry’s command on the Great Lakes and became the first lieutenant on board Perry’s flagship, Lawrence. He participated in the decisive Battle of lake Erie on 10 September 1813 and, though wounded, refused to leave his post during the engagement. When Perry shifted his flag to Niagara during the battle, Lt. Yarnall assumed command of Lawrence. After the battle, he took the squadron’s wounded on board and carried them back to Erie for medical attention. For his gallantry in the battle, Yarnall earned Perry’s commendation as well as a medal expressing the gratitude of Congress and the country.
n the spring of 1815, Yarnall sailed from New York with Stephen Decatur in the frigate Guerriere for the Mediterranean Sea. On 17 June, off the Algerian coast, his ship encountered and captured Meshuda, the flagship of the Algerine “Navy.” While defending his country’s honor and rights during that engagement, the valiant Yarnall again suffered wounds. Probably because of his wounds, Lt. Yarnall was chosen as the bearer of dispatches from Decatur’s squadron to the government in Washington. In July 1815, he embarked in the sloop-of-war Epervier for the voyage home. The warship was last seen on 14 July 1816 as she passed through the Strait of Gibraltar and into the Atlantic. Presumably, Yarnall and all others on board went down with her during the transatlantic voyage.
Transferred to England 10/23/1940 as HMS LINCOLN (G-42). Struck 1/8/1941. In Royal Norwegian Navy (02/1942-08/1944). Transferred to Russia 08/26/1944 as DRUZHNY for use as spare parts. Returned to England 08/23/1952. Scrapped in Rosyth, England 09/1952.