Help us to save our museum ships! Learn More

Hull Number: DD-213

Launch Date: 09/11/2019

Commissioned Date: 12/27/2019

Decommissioned Date: 07/18/1945





Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (Published 1959)

Born in Hanson, MA, 31 March 1845, Albert S. Barker graduated from the Academy in 1862. He served in Mississippi, Monongahela, and Niagara during the Civil War. During the Spanish-American War he commanded Newark and participated in the bombardment of Santiago 1 July 1898. He was Commander-in-Chief of the Atlantic Fleet 1903-05. Rear Admiral Barker died 30 January 1916 at Washington, DC.


Sold on 11/30/1945 to Boston Metal Co., Baltimore, MD for $8,777.00. Scrapped.

USS BARKER DD-213 Ship History

Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (Published 1959)

Barker (DD-213) was launched 11 September 1919 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, PA; sponsored by Mrs. Albert S. Barker, widow of Admiral Barker; and commissioned 27 December 1919, Lieutenant Commander C. C. Windsor in command.

In June Barker sailed to the Middle East to join Division 35, US Naval Detachment, Turkish Waters. She served for several months with the American Relief of Armenia and visited several ports in Turkey and the Middle East before sailing eastward late in 1921, to the Orient to commence her four-year tour of duty with the Asiatic Fleet.

Barker cruised in Philippine and Asiatic waters until departing Manila in May 1925. She served during the next two years with the Scouting Force on the East Coast and patrolled off Nicaragua, 10-31 January 1927, during the second campaign there. Thereafter, she served a two-year tour with US Naval Forces, Europe, and carried out several goodwill visits to many European ports.

Subsequent to August 1929, Barker was permanently on the Asiatic Station and operated with the destroyer divisions of the Asiatic Fleet. During periods of disturbance in China she was engaged in protecting American interest.

At the beginning of 1941 she was attached to the 57th Division, 29th Squadron, and later operated under Commander, TF 5 in the Philippines. On 7 December 1941 Barker was at Tarakan, Borneo, and upon receipt of the news of the Pearl Harbor attack, immediately commenced patrolling the surrounding area. During the remainder of December and throughout January 1942 she patrolled and escorted convoys in the Netherlands East Indies. During February Barker took part in the abortive attempts to stem the Japanese advance into the Dutch East Indies. She participated in the anti-aircraft actions off Bali (4 February 1942) and Banka Island (15 February). Barker was badly shaken by near misses during the 15 February action and required emergency repairs. She retired to Exmouth Gulf, Australia, arriving 19 February for repair and overhaul.

Between March and May 1942 Barker operated out of Fremantle, Australia, on patrol and escort duty. She then sailed to Tonga Island where she arrived 24 May. Remaining there until 29 June, she then proceeded to Pearl Harbor, via Samoa and New Caledonia. In August she proceeded to Mare Island Navy Yard where she underwent overhaul. Between October 1942 and May 1943 Barker escorted convoys between San Francisco and Pearl Harbor.

She departed San Diego 23 May 1943 for the East Coast, arriving at Casco Bay, Maine, 2 June. On 27 June, as a member of the hunter-killer TG 21.12 (Core Group), she departed New York to search for enemy submarines in the Atlantic. When the German submarine U-487 was sunk by aircraft from Core (CVE-13), 13 July, Barker rescued 33 survivors. Returning to New York 1 August, Barker departed with the Group on another anti-submarine sweep 16 August. On 24 August Core’s aircraft found and sank the German submarines U-84 and U-185. Barker rescued 36 survivors of U-185.

Between 16 September 1943 and 1 October 1944 Barker made two trans-Atlantic convoy escort crossings to England and four to North Africa. The remainder of Barker’s active service was performed as a convoy escort in the Caribbean, to Newfoundland, and along the eastern seaboard of the United States. She arrived at Philadelphia 4 June 1945; was decommissioned 18 July; and sold 30 November 1945.

Barker received two battle stars for her participation in World War II.