The Tin Can Sailors 2024 National Reunion Will Be Held In Exciting, Historic New Orleans From Sept. 8th-12th. Register Now! Check Our Facebook Page For More Announcements.


Hull Number: DD-330

Launch Date: 02/18/1921

Commissioned Date: 04/26/1921

Decommissioned Date: 03/31/1930

Call Sign: NUQT



Namesake: ISAAC HULL


Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, July 2015

Isaac Hull was born in Derby, Conn., 9 March 1773 and was appointed Lieutenant in the U.S. Navy 9 March 1798. During the Quasi-War with France he served as Executive Officer of frigate Constitution under Silas Talbot, and distinguished himself by leading a successful expedition to capture the fort at Porto Plata, Santo Domingo. The intrepid Hull spiked the fort’s guns, cut out a prize, and escaped from the harbor with it. In the war with Tripoli 1802-05 he added to his reputation while in command of brig Argus. In the War of 1812 Hull was given command of Constitution. In July 1812, while off the coast of New Jersey, he encountered a squadron of four British frigates and one ship of the line under Admiral Blake. As the wind was light or non-existent, Hull alternately towed Constitution with boats and hauled her ahead on her anchor. After three days of this skillful and strenuous work, she escaped. Later, on August 19th, Hull engaged HMS Guerriere in one of the classic battles of naval history, compelling the British ship to strike her colors and earning for his vessel the name “Old Ironsides”. Promoted to Commodore, Hull commanded the Boston and Washington Navy Yards, the Pacific Squadron, and finally the Mediterranean Squadron in his later career. Commodore Hull died 13 February 1843 at Philadelphia.


Scrapped and materials sold.

USS HULL DD-330 Ship History

Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, July 2015

The second Hull (DD-330) was launched by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco, 18 February 1921; sponsored by Miss Elizabeth Hull; and commissioned 26 April 1921, Lt. T. J. Doyle in command.

Following shakedown along the California coast, Hull engaged in operations and tactical exercises out of San Diego for the remainder of the year. During 1922 she took part in charting and sounding operations along the coast of southern California. Upon completion of winter maneuvers off Panama and training exercises out of San Diego, Hull sailed 28 June 1923 to act as escort vessel on President Harding’s trip to Alaska. It was on this voyage that the President was taken ill, and he died in San Francisco 2 August. The destroyer returned to San Diego 8 September and resumed operations and exercises in that area.

Hull sailed 2 January 1924 for operations in the Caribbean, which included a visit to Vera Cruz, Mexico, to protect American lives and property during the recurring Mexican revolution. In April the ship steamed to Seattle and operated between that city and Seward, Alaska, taking soundings for the new Alaskan cable. Upon her return in early May Hull resumed operations along the coast.

The destroyer continued to operate out of San Diego with occasional voyages to Panama until 1927. She then sailed in company with the Battle Fleet 17 November for tactical maneuvers in the Caribbean. Hull visited New York before returning to San Diego 26 June to resume her training operations. The ship arrived Mare Island 11 June 1929 for overhaul, and returned to San Diego in October, where she decommissioned 31 March 1930. Hull was sold for scrap 10 June 1931 in accordance with the London Treaty of 1930.