SAVE THE DATE! The Tin Can Sailors 2024 National Reunion Will Be Held In Exciting, Historic New Orleans From Sept. 8th-12th. More Information Coming Soon, Check Our Facebook Page For Future Announcements.

Hull Number: DD-398

Launch Date: 06/11/1938

Commissioned Date: 02/17/1939

Decommissioned Date: 10/29/1945



Data for USS Ellet (DD-398) as of 1945

Length Overall: 340' 9"

Beam: 35' 6"

Draft: 13' 3"

Standard Displacement: 1,500 tons

Full Load Displacement: 2,350 tons

Fuel capacity: 3,192 barrels


Four 5″/38 caliber guns
Two 40mm twin anti-aircraft mounts
Two 21″ quadruple torpedo tubes


16 Officers
235 Enlisted


3 Boilers
2 Westinghouse Turbines: 50,000 horsepower

Highest speed on trials: 40.7 knots

Namesake: ELLET


Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (Published 1963)

Five members of the Ellet family of Pennsylvania rendered valuable service during the Civil War: Colonel Charles Ellet, Jr.; Brigadier General Alfred W. Ellet; Colonel Charles R. Ellet; Lieutenant Colonel John A. Ellet; and Edward C. Ellet. The first two officers commanded the Ellet Ram Fleet.


Sold 08/01/1947 to Salco-Iron and Metals Corp., San Francisco, Calif. for $14,000.00. Scrapped.

A Tin Can Sailors Destroyer History


The Tin Can Sailor, October 1998

The second ship of the BENHAM class to be built at the Kearny yard of Federal Shipbuilding was named for an illustrious family of Army officers during the Civil War. The Ellett family commanded a squadron of nine river “rams” and two floating batteries under Army control in the actions along the Mississippi.

Almost twenty months elapsed between keel laying in December, 1936, and the launching of the new destroyer, but commissioning followed just seven months later. By the time ELLETT was formally accepted into the Navy, world conditions had changed. The nation needed a modern fleet of destroyers. ELLETT would prove very useful.

Following her commissioning on a cold February day in 1939 at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, DD-398 operated out of Boston on the Neutrality Patrol. The duty was exhausting and hazardous; the new destroyer protected shipping to the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, where the “war zone” began. From that point, the cargo vessels were “fair game” for prowling German submarines. The duty was cold and thankless, but ELLETT’s tireless efforts helped to maintain the peace on “our side” of the Atlantic while the nation prepared for war.

A welcomed respite from the Atlantic storms found ELLETT transferred to the west Gulf Patrol out of Galveston, Texas. While the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico were appreciated, the better duty was not to last. Like most of the “new construction”, ELLETT was assigned to the Battle Force, Pacific, based in San Diego in 1940.

DD-398 was operating as an element of Task Force 8 when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor in December, 1941. TF 8, centered around USS ENTERPRISE (CV-6), was returning from Wake Island and would still be almost two hundred miles at sea when the first bombs exploded on the Pacific Fleet anchorage. ELLETT’s years of peace had ended.

As the battles shifted around the central and south Pacific, DD-398 followed the action. She screened ENTERPRISE as the big carrier herself provided an air umbrella for the B-25 Mitchell bombers launched from USS HORNET (CV-8) in the Doolittle raid against Japan. Less than a week later, ELLETT’s task force shifted to the south to reinforce naval units in the Battle of the Coral Sea. Thousands of miles to the north, the forces of Imperial Japan were being drawn into a trap and ELLETT’s carrier was needed once again. In June, she protected the flat top during the pivotal Battle of Midway.

DD-398 returned to Pearl Harbor to prepare for the largest invasion effort yet to be staged in the Pacific, the Marine landings on Guadalcanal. Destroyers were the workhorses of the actions that swept up the Solomon Island chain from Guadalcanal toward the Philippines. ELLETT was called upon for a variety of tasks.

Sometimes, her role involved rescue. After the Battle of Savo island, DD-398 rescued nearly five hundred men from the cruisers QUINCY (CA-39) and USS ASTORIA (CA-34). With USS SELFRIDGE (DD-357), she was then called upon to sink the abandoned Australian cruiser HMAS CANBERRA, wrecked in the same battle.

Japan attempted to reinforce her troops on Guadalcanal with nightly voyages down “The Slot”, the narrow body of water that led from Japanese bases in the north. ELLETT struck back. Occasionally, shore bombardment was the order of the day; while the evening called for more unusual actions. On more than one occasion, ELLETT carried units of Fiji Islander “raiders” to attack Japanese outposts. Intelligence suggested that survivors from the cruiser HELENA (CL-50) were hiding on Japanese-held islands. ELLETT, along with other destroyers and two attack transports snatched the remnants of HELENA’s crew from under the noses of Imperial forces.

On September 3, 1943, ELLETT had the chance to practice the tactics her crew had first learned years before on the Neutrality Patrol in the Atlantic. ELLETT finally had an opportunity to fight a submarine. Japanese Imperial submarines were ordered into the Solomons to disrupt American convoys. They failed. The submarines were detected almost immediately, and anti-submarine forces were ordered from Espiritu Santo to destroy the threat. Late in the evening, ELLETT’s radar encountered an unidentified vessel at a range of 13,000 yards. The Japanese fleet submarine 1-168 was cruising on the surface. The destroyer approached to within three miles, finally challenging with a blinker light, then blanketing the target with star shells. 1-168 submerged and began evasive maneuvers. For twenty-six minutes, the destroyer beat the waters over the sub. Sonar contact was lost and ELLETT’s crew believed the undersea raider had escaped. A different story greeted the destroyer men at daylight. A large oil slick and bits of debris marked the grave of 1-168. DD-398 was one of the few American destroyers to single-handedly sink an enemy submarine.

ELLETT returned to her duties of carrier screen and shore bombardment through the remainder of the war. Her mission took her through the Marianas and into the Bonins with the invasion of Iwo Jima in December, 1944-January, 1945. July found the veteran tin can conveying troops from her base in the Guam-Saipan area.

DD-398 was undergoing much needed repair and modernization at the Mare Island shipyard in California when the Japanese surrendered. Work on the valiant destroyer slowed to a halt and she was decommissioned on October 29, 1945. She was finally sold for scrapping on August 1, 1947.

USS ELLETT was awarded ten battle stars for her service in World War II.

USS ELLET DD-398 Ship History

Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (Published 1963)

Ellet (DD-398) was launched 11 June 1938 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Kearny, NJ; sponsored by Miss Elvira Daniel Cabell, granddaughter of Colonel Charles Ellet, Jr.; and commissioned 17 February 1939, Lieutenant Commander F. J. Mee in command.

In September and October 1939 Ellet operated off the Grand Banks on Neutrality Patrol, then with Destroyer Division 18 out of Galveston with the West Gulf Patrol. Based at San Diego, after 26 February 1940, she joined in Battle Force maneuvers as far as Hawaii. In the summer of 1941 her home port became Pearl Harbor and in October she brought home an Army survey expedition from Christmas Island to Honolulu.

When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor 7 December 1941, Ellet was returning from reinforcing Wake Island in the screen of TF 8 with which she remained throughout December. After a convoy escort voyage to the west coast, she guarded a troop convoy back to Christmas Island in February.

In April she screened Carrier TF 16, which launched B-25’s in the famous Halsey-Doolittle Raid on Tokyo and other Japanese cities and returned to Pearl Harbor the 25th. The same ships raced 6 days later to reinforce the carriers headed for the great Allied victory of the Coral Sea. It was won before Ellet‘s force got there, so TF 16 returned to Pearl Harbor. TF 16 sailed from Pearl Harbor 28 May 1942 once more to join TF 17. Together they turned back the Japanese fleet in the decisive Battle of Midway on 4, 6 and 6 June. The Japanese lost four carriers, many aircraft, an appalling number of irreplaceable aviators. Ellet returned to Pearl Harbor 13 June to prepare for invading the Solomons first American land offensive of the war.

Ellet arrived off Guadalcanal 7 August 1942 for preinvasion bombardment, patrolled the transport area, and fought off air attacks. On 9 August she rescued 41 officers and 461 men from Quincy (CA-39) and 1 man from Astoria (CA-34), sunk in the Battle of Savo Island the night before, then joined Selfridge (DD-367) in the sad duty of sinking the hulk of HMAS Canberra, hopelessly battered in the same battle. While escorting transports deadheading back to Noumea, Ellet was detached 12 August to screen the Enterprise (CV-6) task force covering reinforcement and supply of the Solomons. She got back to Pearl Harbor 10 September.

Out of Espiritu Santo Ellet patrolled to the Solomons with TF 16 from November 1942 until May 1943, then returned to Pearl Harbor. Back at Espiritu Santo 1 July, she hurried to Tulagi for the consolidation of the northern Solomons. She sailed for overhaul on the west coast in September 1943.

By the end of January 1944, Ellet was back in action screening carriers about to invade the Marshalls. After a week in Pearl Harbor for repairs, she saw action in New Guinea, supporting the operations at Hollandia in April. Upon her return to Pearl Harbor she joined the 5th Fleet for the invasion of the Marianas, screening diversionary raids on the Bonins, and carriers in the assaults on Saipan and Guam.

Ellet arrived at Ulithi Atoll 13 October 1944 and was sent to scout neighboring Ngulu Atoll for a proposed secondary fleet anchorage. Troops landed at Ngulu 16 October. When Montgomery (DM-17) struck a mine the 17th, Ellet came to the rescue with pumps then towed her in to Ulithi lagoon.

At October’s end, Ellet joined the Marianas Patrol and Escort Group. She bombarded Iwo Jima, in December 1944 and the following January. Based on Guam and Saipan, she escorted convoys and patrolled on air-sea rescue station until July 1945.

When hostilities ended, Ellet was repairing at Mare Island. She was decommissioned there 29 October 1945 and sold 1 August 1947.

Ellet received 10 battle stars for World War II service.