SAVE THE DATE! The Tin Can Sailors 2024 National Reunion Will Be Held In Exciting, Historic New Orleans From Sept. 8th-12th. More Information Coming Soon, Check Our Facebook Page For Future Announcements.

Hull Number: DD-527

Launch Date: 09/17/1942

Commissioned Date: 03/12/1943

Decommissioned Date: 09/15/1960

Call Sign: NAEY

Voice Call Sign: CHEYENNE, STOCKCAR (55-59), ADJOURN (52-54)



Data for USS Fletcher (DD-445) as of 1945

Length Overall: 376’ 5"

Beam: 39’ 7"

Draft: 13’ 9"

Standard Displacement: 2,050 tons

Full Load Displacement: 2,940 tons

Fuel capacity: 3,250 barrels


Five 5″/38 caliber guns
Five 40mm twin anti-aircraft mounts
Two 21″ quintuple torpedo tubes


20 Officers
309 Enlisted


4 Boilers
2 General Electric Turbines: 60,000 horsepower

Highest speed on trials: 35.2 knots



Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, June 2015

Daniel Ammen was born in Brown County, Ohio, on 15 May 1820. He was appointed a midshipman on 7 July 1836 and later served with distinction during the Civil War. Ammen commanded Seneca at the Battle of Port Royal, S.C., on 7 November 1861; Patapsco in the attack on Fort McAIister and Fort Sumter in 1863; and Mohican in the bombardment of Fort Fisher in late 1864 and early 1865. Following the end of the fighting, he spent most of his remaining years of service in Washington, serving first as Chief of the Bureau of Yards and Docks and then as Chief of the Bureau of Navigation. He was promoted to rear admiral upon his retirement in 1878. After leaving active duty, he spent much of his time writing on naval subjects and published two books: the Atlantic Coast and The Old Navy and The New. Ammen died near Washington, D.C., on 11 July 1898, and was buried at Arlington National Cemetery.


Rammed by COLLETT (DD-730) on 07/19/1960, off Long Beach, Calif. while enroute to San Diego for decommissioning. Beyond economical repair. Sold 03/21/1961 to National Metal and Steel Corp., Terminal Island, Calif. for $61,166.66. Scrapped.

USS AMMEN DD-527 Ship History

Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, June 2015

The second Ammen (DD-527) was laid down on 29 November 1941 at San Francisco, Calif., by the Bethlehem Steel Corp.; launched on 17 September 1942; sponsored by Miss Eva Ammen; and commissioned on 20 March 1943, Comdr. John C. Daniel in command.

Ammen put to sea on 30 March bound for San Diego where she completed her shakedown training. The destroyer departed San Diego on 20 April and arrived in San Pedro the following day. Two days later, she embarked upon a voyage to Alaskan waters as part of the screen for Task Force (TF) 51, built around Pennsylvania (BB-38). The task force arrived at Cold Bay, Alaska, on 1 May and, 10 days later, participated in the landings on Attu Island. During that operation, Ammen’s primary responsibility consisted of providing antisubmarine and antiaircraft protection for the ships of the invasion force. Since the air threat never materialized and the submarine menace proved almost as benign, she fired no shots at the enemy but struggled mightily against the inhospitable Aleutian climate.

At the conclusion of her part in the operation, Ammen headed back to California, arriving in San Diego on 31 May. The destroyer underwent two weeks of repairs at San Diego and then moved north to San Francisco where she resumed post-shakedown availability. On 11 July, she departed San Francisco in the screen of another convoy bound for Alaska. She escorted the convoy to a point about 900 miles from Adak where other escorts took over the mission. Ammen returned to San Francisco on 21 July but remained there only eight days. On the 29th, the destroyer put to sea with another Alaska-bound convoy. She shepherded her charges into port at Adak on 5 August and began preparations for the occupation of Kiska. That operation proved to be a walkover for the simple reason that the Japanese had evacuated Kiska. The destroyer returned to Adak on 12 September and remained there until the 24th. She put to sea again on the 24th, made a brief stop back at Kiska on the 25th, and then headed on to Pearl Harbor. Ammen arrived at her destination on 2 October and spent the ensuing nine days practising gunnery, torpedo, and antisubmarine warfare (ASW) techniques. On 11 October, she departed Pearl Harbor in company with Bush (DD-529). The destroyer arrived back at Adak on 16 October and, for the next six weeks patrolled in the Aleutian Islands.

On 26 November, Ammen left Adak bound for the southwestern Pacific. She made a five-day stop at Pearl Harbor before resuming her voyage on 9 December. Steaming by way of Funafuti in the Ellice Islands and Espiritu Santo in the New Hebrides, the warship arrived at Milne Bay, New Guinea, on 18 December. There, she became a unit of the 7th Fleet. For the next nine months, Armnen focused her energies on the series of operations that wrested control of the northern coast of New Guinea from the Japanese and isolated their big bases in the Bismark Archipelago at Rabaul on New Britain and Kavieng on New Ireland. Between late December 1943 and late January 1944, Ammen supported the Allied landings at Cape Gloucester on the western end of New Britain as an element of the Cruiser Bombardment Unit under Rear Admiral V.A.C. Crutchley VC, RN. In addition to providing antisubmarine and antiaircraft protection for the larger ships, she transported casualties from the battle ashore and conducted shore bombardments.

In February, the destroyer visited Sydney, Australia, returning to the New Guinea area at Milne Bay on the 22d. A week later, Ammen put to sea in the screen of an LST task unit, the first resupply echelon for the reconnaissance in force of Los Negros Island that burgeoned into the occupation of the Admiralty Islands. During the first half of March, Ammen busied herself providing gunfire support for the soldiers securing a hold on Los Negros and fighting off air attacks. Between 17 and 19 March, she joined Beale (DD-471), Daly (DD-519), Hutching (DD-476), and Mullany (DD-528) in a fruitless antishipping sweep along the coast of New Guinea near enemy-held Wewak.

After several weeks of upkeep at Milne Bay and training exercises in that vicinity, Ammen put to sea once again on 18 April in company with Rear Admiral Crutchley’s cruiser-destroyer force to support the next hop in the leapfrog along the northern coast of New Guinea, the Aitape-Hollandia invasion. During the assault at Tanamerah Bay, the destroyer provided antisubmarine and antiaircraft protection to gunfire support ships of the force and contributed her share of call fire as well. Later, she joined the screen of TG 78.2, one of two escort carrier task groups providing close air support for the troops ashore, until the middle of the first week in May.

After a respite at Manus, Ammen departed Seeadler Harbor in mid-May in company again with Rear Admiral Crutchley’s Australian and American cruisers and destroyers. The warships steamed to Hollandia, New Guinea, where they took station offshore to cover the invasion force assembled there. After sundown on 16 May, the entire force began the voyage to the Wakde-Sarmi area of northwestern New Guinea. From 17 to 21 May, Ammen and her consorts brought their guns to bear on Japanese targets in support of the troops charged with the seizure of the region. On 27 May, the destroyer was off Biak in the Schouten Islands located just to the north of the western end of New Guinea and, due east of the peninsula then known as the Vogelkop. During the amphibious assault at Bosnik on the southeastern coast of Biak, Ammen’s guns struck at enemy positions once more. After the initial landings, Ammen’s cruiser-destroyer force alternated with Rear Admiral Russell S. Berkey’s TF 75 built around Phoenix (CL-46), Nashville (CL-43), and Boise (CL-47) in covering the invasion forces from enemy air and naval interference. Ammen’s group fought off several half-hearted air attacks and foiled an attempted reinforcement by destroyers on the night of 8 and 9 June. The destroyer and her colleagues concluded their part in the Biak operation at the end of the third week in June and entered Seeadler Harbor for a week of upkeep.

On 30 June, the warship put to sea in the screen of the bombardment force assigned to the seizure of Noemfoor, an island located between Biak and the Vogelkop. During the landings on 2 July, Ammen drew no gunfire support missions and so, contented herself with antisubmarine and antiaircraft defense patrols against an enemy notable only for his absence. Between the conclusion of her part in the Noemfoor occupation and the Sansapor operation late in July, the destroyer carried out harassment missions against bypassed Japanese garrisons on the New Guinea coast from the base at Aitape. During the last four days of July, Ammen participated in the unopposed landings at Cape Sansapor on the northwestern coast of the Vogelkop. After Sansapor, the warship embarked upon a voyage to Sydney, Australia, for an 18-day liberty and upkeep call.

On 26 August, Ammen headed back to the combat zone. Steaming by way of Milne Bay, New Guinea, she arrived in Seeadler Harbor, Manus, on 1 September. The destroyer spent the first 10 days of September engaged in drills and upkeep at Manus. On the llth, she got underway for Morotai and another uncontested landing. The warship spent only two days at Morotai before returning to Seeadler Harbor via Mios Woendi.

Ammen remained at Manus from 29 September until 11 October. On the latter day, she put to sea on a circuitous voyage bound ultimately for the invasion of the Philippines at Leyte. That circuit took her first to the northern coast of New Guinea where-at Humboldt Bay-she became a unit of the screen of the invasion force flagship Wasatch (AGC-9). The flagship group weighed anchor on 15 October and laid in a course for Leyte Gulf. The destroyer escorted the command ship into Leyte Gulf in the predawn darkness of 20 October. The preparatory shore bombardment began about 0700 and lasted until just before 0945. At that point the landing craft began their approach to the beaches. Assigned to protect the force flagship, Ammen took no part in the festivities but watched dutifully for the intrusion of enemy aircraft and submarines. For the first five days of the Leyte undertaking, she continued to provide antiair and antisubmarine coverage to Wasatch and escorted her out to sea during her nightly retirements from San Pedro Bay.

Her duties with respect to the flagship kept Ammen out of both the surface actions launched by the Japanese to contest the invasion of Leyte. By the time she was detached to join TG 77.3 on the afternoon of 25 October to guard the eastern entrance to Leyte Gulf, the Japanese had shot their bolt. The forces that had tried to charge through Surigao Strait to the south received a shattering welcome from the battleships, cruisers, and destroyers under Rear Admiral Jesse Oldendorf, and the Yamato force that had sneaked through San Bernardino Strait went about to retrace its path in face of the desperate resistance put up off Samar by the escort carriers and, particularly, by the destroyers and destroyer escorts screening them.

Though the major Japanese effort to disrupt the Leyte landings had been foiled, it was not immediately apparent. As a consequence, Ammen served with several defensive formations on an ad hoc basis. As already stated, she joined TG 77.3 on the afternoon of 25 October to help guard the eastern entrance to Leyte Gulf. That assignment lasted until the early morning hours of the 27th when she transferred to TG 77.4, the escort carrier group that had been mauled off Samar on the 25th. Soon thereafter, she was assigned more specifically to Task Unit (TU) 77.4.2 built around Natoma Bay (CVE-62) and five other escort carriers. Ammen served with that outfit until the early morning hours of 29 October when she was reassigned to TG 77.2 inside Leyte Gulf. Later that day, the destroyer resumed duty screening the flagship as an element of TG 77.1.

Rebuffed on the surface, the Japanese resorted to an aerial blitz. Ammen spent the first 16 days of November helping to ward off enemy aircraft. On 1 November, a burning Yokosuka P1Y “Frances” twin-engine bomber crashed into the destroyer between her stacks. The plane caromed off the ship into the sea but caused considerable topside damage and inflicted 26 casualties, including five dead. Ammen, however, carried on with her duties and claimed a number of hits and two probable kills in the aerial onslaught over the following two weeks. On 16 November, the warship laid in a course for the Admiralty Islands. She entered Seeadler Harbor on 21 November and spent the next nine days preparing for the voyage back to the United States. On 30 November, Ammen departed Manus and pointed her bow east toward the United States. After stops at Majuro and Pearl Harbor, she arrived in San Francisco on 21 December.

Repairs to her battle damage carried out at the Mare Island Navy Yard kept Ammen out of the Lingayen Gulf operation in January 1945, and their completion at the beginning of the second week in February came too late for the destroyer to play a part in the mid-February seizure of Iwo Jima. On 9 February 1945, she sailed out of the Golden Gate in company with Chenango (CVE-28) and set a course for Pearl Harbor. The two warships reached Oahu on 15 February, and Ammen performed training and carrier escort missions in the Hawaiian Islands until the middle of the first week in March. On 4 March, the destroyer departed Pearl Harbor in company with St. Louis (CL-49) and her old division mate, Beale. The three warships made one stop, at Eniwetok on the 10th for fuel, before arriving at Ulithi Atoll on 13 March. Leaving St. Louis at Ulithi, Ammen and Beale returned to sea on their way back to Leyte. Ammen and her colleague reached their destination on St. Patrick’s Day 1945 and set about practising for the invasion of the Ryukyu Islands.

On 27 March, she stood out of Leyte Gulf with TF 55, the Southern Attack Force, bound for the assault on Okinawa. The task force arrived off the assault beaches early in the morning of 1 April, Easter Sunday, April Fool’s Day, and L-day for the invasion of Okinawa. Ammen took up screening station in the transport area while the troops in the transports made final preparations. The first wave rolled ashore just after 0830. Ammen spent the first 10 days of April providing antisubmarine and antiaircraft protection for the troop and cargo ships unloading at Okinawa. On the 10th, the destroyer joined TG 51.2 in a voyage to the Marianas, arriving back in the Ryukyus on the 20th.

Her return to Okinawa on 20 April marked the beginning of Ammen’s service on various of the radar picket stations established in the waters surrounding Okinawa to warn of approaching air raids and to help repulse them. Few tasks in World War II proved more arduous. It consisted of a grueling schedule of duty against fanatical and, more often than not, suicidal Japanese aviators. Ammen received her baptism in the Okinawa hail storm that night. After tracking her first bogey on radar picket duty just after midnight on the 21st, she failed to detect a second plane that flew in low and dropped a bomb fairly close aboard on her starboard quarter. The near miss exploded in the water, showering the warship with fragments. In that brief encounter, eight of her crew suffered wounds. Ammen remained on station until the evening of the 21st when she was relieved by Russell (DD-114). The destroyer proceeded to the Hagushi beaches where she transferred the more serious of her casualties to Crescent City (APA-21) before entering Kerama Retto for repairs and replenishment.

Following patrol duty on the 26th and 27th, she took over support ship duties from Mustin (DD-413) on radar picket station number 1 north of Okinawa late in the morning of the 28th. That afternoon, an enemy raid-part of the fourth of the 10 major air assaults mounted by the Japanese in the effort to thwart the Okinawa invasion-approached Ammen and Bennion (DD-662), the ship she was supporting on the radar picket station. A Nakajima Ki. 43 “Oscar” single-engine fighter dove on Ammen and Bennion. Both destroyers opened fire on the intruder but failed to stop him. He crashed Bennion’‘s fantail but caused only minor damage.

While snoopers probed the area throughout the night, none approached nearer than three or four miles, and no new attacks developed until the following night. Just before 0200 on the 30th, a group of between six and eight bogies appeared on Ammen’s radar screen headed directly for her station. The destroyer opened fire about five minutes after the contacts were made. Smart ship handling caused the first two suiciders to overshoot Ammen and splash into the sea fairly close aboard to port. Bennion suffered additional minor damage when the third kamikaze struck another glancing blow to her fantail. Ammen received the attention of the fourth member of the group, but he, too, went into the sea. The two destroyers then combined forces to knock the fifth intruder out of the sky with antiaircraft fire. The sixth bandit went into the sea about three or four miles off to starboard. The final plane in the group fell before the guns of an American night fighter.

Relative quiet returned to her station during the daylight hours of the 30th and the following night. Not long before noon on the 1st, Ammen, relieved by Ingraham (DD-694), headed for Hagushi anchorage to receive on board a fighter director team along with its equipment. After refueling and replenishing at Kerama Retto, the destroyer headed for radar picket station 9 during the evening of 3 May. She remained on station until the 9th, directing combat air patrol (CAP) fighters put to meet sporadic raids of one, two, and three planes. Relieved by William D. Porter (DD-579) on the morning of 9 May, Ammen replenished at Kerama Retto that day and then moved on to Hagushi anchorage on the 10th. While at Hagushi, the destroyer opened fire briefly on the evening of 12 May at a Nakajima Ki. 43 “Oscar” and a Nakajima Ki. 44 “Tojo.” Both planes attempted suicide dives on New Mexico (BB-40). The “Oscar” overshot the mark, but the “Tojo” struck New Mexico amidships.

On 13 May, Ammen returned to radar picket duty, relieving Lowry (DD-770) as fighter director on station 16 about 50 miles west northwest of the peninsula on Okinawa known as Zampa Misaki. Over the next six days, the destroyer directed her CAP fighters out to meet a number of raids, but she, herself, fought no engagements with enemy aircraft. On the 18th, Ammen stood down and headed back to Hagushi. On the 19th, she put into Kerama Retto for repairs alongside Hamul (AD-20) until the 22d. After two days back at Hagushi, the destroyer resumed duty with the radar pickets in the afternoon of the 24th.

Her return coincided with the seventh of Japan’s 10 kikusui attacks on Okinawa shipping. The onslaught had begun the previous evening but had subsided somewhat during the daylight hours of the 24th when Ammen resumed duty as a fighter director. Just before 2000, the Japanese renewed their attacks with increasing intensity. The first six raids she detected posed no real threat to Ammen and her colleagues at radar picket station 15. The seventh raid closed to within five miles of her station but kept its distance in face of antiaircraft fire from Ammen-s consorts. From that time until about 0300 on the 25th, aircraft flew back and forth over station 15. The warships assigned there let fly with their antiaircraft batteries whenever enemy planes approached.

Throughout the night of 24 and 25 May no Japanese aviator made a really determined attack on radar picket station 15. In fact, Ammen’s radar screen remained clear of bogies during the morning watch of 25 May. Half an hour into the forenoon watch, however, things began to warm up. She detected a group of enemy planes approaching from the north about 40 miles distant. The destroyer dispatched her CAP fighters to meet the enemy, and they bagged two Nakajima Ki. 44 “Tojo” Army fighters and two Kawasaki Ki. 61 “Tony” Army fighters. Unfortunately a fifth plane, another “Tojo,” slipped through and, a little after 0900, began a suicide dive, apparently at Ammen. The destroyer opened fire, but the kamikaze maintained his course and gathered speed. Instead of striking Ammen, though, he passed along her length and did a wingover into Stormes (DD-780) crashing her after torpedo mount. Though battered, Stormes remained afloat and, after repairs, continued in active service for almost three decades.

Relative peace returned to radar picket station 15 that night and continued until early on the 27th when the Japanese launched their eighth kikusui attack, the last in which 100 or more planes were involved. Attacks on other stations began as early as the end of the morning watch. Ammen made no contact with the enemy until about 1730 when she detected an enemy formation approaching Okinawa from the north. No bogies closed her station until after 2000 hours; but, between 2030 and 0200, she and Boyd (DD-544) fought off eight coordinated air attacks and sustained no damage in the effort. By 0330, the radar screen showed the skies to be clear of bogies within an eight-mile radius of Ammen. Forty minutes later, the destroyer headed via Hagushi anchorage to Kerama Retto to refuel and replenish.

Ammen served on radar picket duty for another four weeks. During that time Japanese air activity began to diminish rapidly. The enemy made two more kikusui efforts, both mere shadows of the murderous affairs of April and May but still lethal nonetheless. Enemy planes still ventured within range of her guns and fell victim to them. Efficient American air power directed by radar picket desroyers such as Ammen, however, generally caught them and knocked them out of the air at some distance from the ships around Okinawa. The warship completed her last tour of duty as a radar picket on 23 June. After taking on fuel at Kerama Retto the following morning, she put to sea in company with several other destroyers on their way to Leyte in the Philippines.

Ammen arrived at Leyte on 27 June and began a fortnight of recreation and upkeep. On 13 July, she got underway from Leyte with TF 95, built around Guam (CB-2). Her task force arrived at Okinawa on 16 July but returned to sea that same day to conduct a surface antishipping sweep of the East China Sea. Following a detour to avoid a typhoon, Ammen and her colleagues began their sweep on 22 July. Unfortnately, they encountered no targets of any consequence and returned to Buckner Bay, Okinawa, on the morning of 24 July. The destroyer participated in two more similarly futile antishipping sweeps of the East China Sea during the last days of July and the first week in August.

Following the cessation of hostilities in mid-August, Ammen operated in the Ryukyu Islands until the end of the first week in September. On 7 September, she departed Okinawa on her way to Japan proper, arriving at Nagasaki on the 15th. Six days later, she moved to Sasebo. Ammen served in Japanese waters until 17 November when she embarked upon the voyage back to the United States. Steaming by way of Midway, Pearl Harbor, San Diego, and the Panama Canal, the warship arrived in Charleston, S.C., two days before Christmas 1945. After completing inactivation overhaul, Ammen was placed out of commission on 15 April 1946 and was berthed with the Charleston Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet.

The outbreak of war in Korea in the summer of 1950 and American support for South Korea in that conflict compelled the Navy to expand its active fleet. Preparations for Ammen’s, reactivation began late in 1950, and she was recommissioned at Charleston, S.C., on 5 April 1951, Comdr. Ralph P. Desmond in command. Though officially deemed to be active, the destroyer required three additional months of reconditioning before putting to sea. After refresher training out of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in July and August, Ammen returned to Charleston in September for a modernization overhaul that lasted until the spring of 1952. Following refresher training in the West Indies, the warship reported for duty with the Atlantic Fleet as an element of Destroyer Division (DesDiv) 182 based at Newport, R.I.

On 26 August 1952, Ammen stood out of Newport bound for her first tour of duty in European waters. She cruised in the Mediterranean Sea with the 6th Fleet until early 1953, participating in various training operations and showing the flag in ports on the European, North African, and middle eastern coasts of the Mediterrranean. The destroyer returned to Newport in February 1953 and operated with the 2d Fleet until August. On 10 August 1953, she departed Boston for the Far East. The warship served with the 7th Fleet, frequently in waters adjacent to the Korean peninsula, through the end of the year. Ammen concluded her tour of duty in the Orient on 14 January 1954. Making the westward voyage by way of the Indian Ocean and the Suez Canal, she arrived in Newport on 10 March. In April, the warship entered the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard for regular overhaul. She completed repairs early that summer and then conducted refresher training in the West Indies in August and September.

That fall, Destroyer Squadron (DesRon) 18 was reassigned to the Pacific Fleet. Accordingly, on 30 November 1954, Ammen got underway from Newport in company with her squadron mates to make the transit to San Diego. Upon reporting to the Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet, after navigating the Panama Canal, DesRon 18 became DesRon 21. In January 1955 the desroyer embarked upon another assignment with the 7th Fleet in the western Pacific. During that assignment, she supported the evacuation of Nationalist Chinese from the Tachen Islands then under pressure from communist forces on the nearby mainland. Before completing that deployment, Ammen also served on the Taiwan Strait patrol.

After her return to San Diego on 19 June 1955, the warship took up normal 1st Fleet operations, conducting type training and participating in fleet exercises in the eastern Pacific. That employment occupied her through January 1956. On 7 February of that year, Ammen left San Diego again on her way to the Far East. That deployment lasted until late July when she headed back to the west coast of the United States. The destoryer reached San Diego on 11 August and, on the 30th, began a three-month overhaul at the Mare Island Naval Shipyard near San Francisco. She returned to San Diego and to active service on 7 December.

On 16 April 1957, Ammen stood out of San Diego bound for another tour of duty with the 7th Fleet in the Far East. En route, she took quite a detour, steaming via Suva in the Fiji Islands to Melbourne, Australia, to participate in the celebration of the 15th anniversary of the Allied victory in the Battle of the Coral Sea. After the commemoration, Ammen headed north via Manus in the Admiralty Islands and Guam to Yokosuka where she arrived on 1 June. A little less than four months later she concluded her assignment with the 7th Fleet and stood out of Yokosuka on 29 September to return to the United States.

Ammen arrived back in San Diego on 14 October and, after post-deployment standdown, resumed normal 1st Fleet operations along the California coast. She remained so occupied until late June 1958. On the 25th, the destroyer got underway again for the western Pacific. She arrived in Yokosuka on 13 July to begin five months of duty with the 7th Fleet. In a deployment plagued by engineering casualties, Ammen still managed extended service at sea with the fast carriers of TF 77 and on the Taiwan Strait patrol. On 6 December, she departed Yokosuka to return to San Diego. Ammen steamed into San Diego on 18 December and remained there exactly 10 weeks completing the usual post-deployment and holiday leave and upkeep period and preparing for regular overhaul.

At the end of February 1959, the destroyer began her overhaul at San Francisco. Repairs complete, she resumed active duty late in June. In mid-August, Ammen departed San Diego for operations between Pearl Harbor and Guam. At the end of September, she returned briefly to the California coast at Long Beach. Early in October, the destroyer embarked upon the final western Pacific deployment of her career. She returned to the west coast from that tour of duty early in 1960. Later that spring the warship began preparations for inactivation. On 19 July 1960, while making the transit between Seal Beach and San Diego for decommissioning, Ammen was struck by Collett (DD-730). The collision killed 11 Ammen sailors and injured 20 others. She was initially towed into Long Beach and, later, from there to San Diego where she was decommissioned on 15 September 1960. Ammen’s name was struck from the Navy list on 1 October 1960, and she was sold to the National Metal & Steel Corp. on 20 April 1961 for scrapping.

Ammen (DD-527) earned eight battle stars during World War II.

A Tin Can Sailors Destroyer History


The Tin Can Sailor, April 1991

Certain ships seem destined to mirror the lives of the people for which they were named, laboring long and valiantly in the service of their country. Ships named AMMEN are of that mold.

Daniel Ammen was “old-Navy”. Born in 1820, he became prominent as a captain during the Civil War. The crush of a rapidly expanding Union Navy catapulted Lieutenant Ammen from a junior’s berth on the ROANOKE to command the iron clad monitor PATAPSCO, a capital ship of the day. His exploits as captain of the SENECA at Fort Royal and MOHICAN during the bombardment of Fort Fisher earned him the recognition and advancement to carry him through the end of the war and into the post-Civil War demobilization as a career officer.

He served as Chief of the Bureau of Navigation in 1871 and retired as a Rear Admiral in 1878, after forty-two years of continuous service. Daniel Ammen passed away near Washington, D.C. on July 11, 1898.

One of the first “true” destroyers in the United States Navy, launched in 1910, was named for the admiral. USS AMMEN, DD 35, was a member of the MONAHAN class–a raised-forecastle, THREE-STACKER. She served throughout World War I as an escort on the North Atlantic run, operating out of Queenstown, Ireland. Like all of her contemporaries, she was mothballed for many years, only to be recommissioned as a Coast Guard anti-rumrunner patrol craft. AMMEN was finally scrapped in 1934.

Just as her namesake gained rank and recognition due to war, USS AMMEN was created because of the threat of war. The “new” AMMEN, a FLETCHER-class destroyer, was laid down at the Bethlehem Steel Company’s San Francisco yard on November 29, 1941. Less than ten months later, she slid down the ways, christened by the Admiral’s daughter. The spring of 1943 saw the commissioning of the new “square bridge FLETCHER”.

By the summer, DD-527 was on her way to the Aleutians. Although the Japanese capture of Attu and Kiska early in the war proved to be of little strategic value, the islands’ loss represented a potential threat to America’s right flank. AMMEN supported Allied landings on Attu and Kiska, assisting in Task Force 94’s frigid sweep of the Pribilofs in October. Charles Vanderbosch, a Tin Can Sailor from Maryland, remembered a particularly eventful liberty at the force’s only liberty port, Dutch Harbor. The entire cruiser-destroyer force was sent ashore at the same time. “So many people had jammed the floating dock that it began to sink. Those who did not scramble back on the pier found themselves in several inches of cold water …. Everyone eventually returned aboard, some drier than others, some somewhat more bruised than others, and in general all were a much happier lot.” After five months of operations in the bleak island chain off Alaska, AMMEN received a Christmas present, of sorts.

AMMEN was transferred in December 1943, to the Southwest Pacific. The Navy had begun its “island hopping campaign” with a push from Guadalcanal into the Solomons and the Admiralties, northeast of Australia. On the day before Christmas, AMMEN found herself supporting the First Marine Division’s landing at Cape Gloucester on New Britain. To AMMEN, “close support” meant operating “within spitting distance” from shore; the ship’s 20 mm’s were often answered by Japanese mortar and rifle fire. For the next eight months, AMMEN protected task groups and bombarded enemy shores through the Admiralties and New Guinea, toward the final approach to the Philippines.

DD-527 found herself at center stage as a part of a vast array of fighting power aimed at the Philippines. AMMEN saw action at the Leyte landings and screened the first forces to land in the Philippines.

She maintained the watch later in October 1944, when a serious threat to the allied landings could have swept MacArthur from the western Pacific.

The Japanese Imperial Navy saw the Leyte landings as the beginning of the end for their empire. Since the beginning, they had visualized American bases in the Philippines as a threat to natural resources Japanese industry needed in Southeast Asia. The remnants of the Japanese fleet were marshalled for a counterattack; a complex action involving a feint to draw off Admiral William Halsey’s Third Fleet in a wild goose chase, while striking forces were to sweep through San Bernadino and Surigao Straits and attack American amphibious shipping around Leyte.

The battle of Surigao Strait found AMMEN supporting Admiral Jesse B. Oldendorf’s force of battleships, cruisers, destroyers, and patrol torpedo boats. The Seventh Fleet was lying in wait for the Japanese. The results were dramatic. In all, two Japanese battleships, one cruiser, and three destroyers were obliterated by Oldendorf’s force, clearly a major victory for the United States Navy.

November 1 marked a turning point for the AMMEN and the Philippines campaign as well. The Japanese had initiated Kamikaze attacks. Vanderbosch wrote, “A short time later, we were in a fight for our lives– planes were everywhere. The ship was operating at flank speed, turning, twisting; guns were firing. I was cussing and praying at the same time.” A twin-engined suicide bomber had crashed AMMEN between her two stacks.

The victory did not mark the end of the Japanese threat; AMMEN had been struck by a dive bomber while screening her charges in Leyte Gulf. Five men were killed and twenty-one w ounded. The extensive above-water damage meant a return to a major yard for repair. By December 1944, AMMEN was at Mare Island and the crew enjoyed Christmas stateside. The brief respite proved all too short. By February 1945, AMMEN, her wounds repaired, headed for the cauldron around Okinawa. For three months, DD-527 again demonstrated her skills on picket duty and as a superb aircraft director off the hotly contested island. The several aircraft she splashed during the campaign cost her a near miss by a hundred pound bomb, which wounded eight. A short return to Leyte, by this time relatively quiet, marked a respite for the crew. The war had reached its final stages, and AMMEN was once again at the center of the action. Now attached to Task Force 98, AMMEN made the final sweeps of the East China Sea, which helped to demonstrate our command of the sea to the Japanese high command. Her next major duty was to screen troops in the occupation of Japan. AMMEN returned to the United States again, this time for deactivation. DD-527 was placed out of commission at Charleston, South Carolina, on April 15, 1946. Her rest was to be brief. The Cold War and a “police action” caused the reactivation of AMMEN. By 1951, the United States faced the twin threat of a resurgent Russian sea power in the Atlantic and a war in Korea that seemed destined to involve Red China. AMMEN’s recommissioning in the spring of 1951 was followed by an eensive refit and modernization to meet the twin threats on the world scene. By February 1952, AMMEN, replete with modern anti- submarine equipment and a finely honed crew, reported to DESDIV 182 at Newport, RI. Through 1953, she served with the Sixth Fleet.

DD-527 shuttled between the Pacific and the Atlantic for the next several months. A tour in the Pacific, followed by a short visit to Fall River, MA, marked a change in AMMEN’s future. In November 1954, AMMEN, along with the rest of her squadron, transferred to the Pacific; her homeport was to be San Diego. For the remainder of the decade, AMMEN alternated between Far East cruises and training operations off California.

AMMEN was now more than twelve years old and approaching obsolescence. She was not to be included in the planned modernization project to be made famous as the FRAM program. Her eight battle stars and unit commendation for World War II could not counter her growing age. On route to her second decommissioning, she collided with USS COLLETT (DD-730), suffering sufficient damage to forestall any lingering thoughts of a long sleep in Red Lead Row. She was stricken on September 1, 1960.

AMMEN, like her sisters in the gallant FLETCHER class, had “fought the good fight”, serving whenever and wherever her country needed her. In war, both cold and hot, and in the long peace she helped to win, AMMEN’s proud record serves as an inspiration to both the Navy and the nation.