SAVE THE DATE! The Tin Can Sailors 2024 National Reunion Will Be Held In Exciting, Historic New Orleans From Sept. 8th-12th. More Information Coming Soon, Check Our Facebook Page For Future Announcements.

Hull Number: DD-883

Launch Date: 03/17/1945

Commissioned Date: 07/26/1945

Call Sign: NNKP

Voice Call Sign: PARTNER, WORK TRAIN (44-46)

Other Designations: DDR-883



Data for USS Gearing (DD-710) as of 1945

Length Overall: 390’ 6"

Beam: 40’ 10"

Draft: 14’ 4"

Standard Displacement: 2,425 tons

Full Load Displacement: 3,479 tons

Fuel capacity: 4,647 barrels


Six 5″/38 caliber guns
Two 40mm twin anti-aircraft mounts
Two 40mm quadruple anti-aircraft mounts
Two 21″ quintuple torpedo tubes


20 Officers
325 Enlisted


4 Boilers
2 General Electric Turbines: 60,000 horsepower

Highest speed on trials: 34.6 knots



Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, April 2016

Newman Kershaw Perry, born in South Carolina 28 November 1880, was appointed Naval Cadet 9 September 1897 and commissioned Ensign 7 June 1903. Stationed in Bennington, he was killed by an explosion of boilers in that ship at San Diego, 21 July 1905.


Stricken 2/27/1981. South Korea 2/27/1981. Scrapped 1999..

A Tin Can Sailors Destroyer History


The Tin Can Sailor, January 2001

The NEWMAN K. PERRY (DD-883) was launched on 17 March and commissioned 26 July 1945 in Orange, Texas. She carried the latest radar and antiaircraft weaponry with double the firepower of pre-war tin cans. By the end of November 1945, she was operating in Japanese waters. Nuclear bomb tests at Bikini Atoll, West Coast and Hawaiian operations, antisubmarine warfare training, and Pacific Fleet exercises took her into 1947 and an overhaul at Mare Island. During her next Western Pacific (WESTPAC) tour, she took part in exercises off Okinawa and visited Tsingtao and other Chinese ports. Back home, she engaged in reserve training cruises and hunter-killer exercises off California until April 1949 when she was transferred to Newport, Rhode Island, and Destroyer Division 182.

Reserve training, gunnery, and task force exercises occupied her crew until September 1949 when she began her first Mediterranean deployment. The crew spent Christmas in Genoa, Italy, and then headed for home. During her second Mediterranean cruise in 1950, she and the CHARLES P. CECIL (DD-835) patrolled the Aegean Sea. Routine East Coast operations, fleet exercises in the Caribbean, and a five-month overhaul at the Boston Naval Shipyard took her up to June 1953. Armed with new 3-inch/50-caliber guns and a modernized CIC, she spent January through May 1954 in the Mediterranean. Caribbean and East Coast operations; regular Sixth Fleet deployments; midshipman cruises; and duty with the Second Fleet during the Suez and Jordanian crises kept the PERRY busy through 1959.

By the early1960s, she was operating out of Charleston, South Carolina. She continued her regular Mediterranean deployments and in May 1961 participated in the first manned Mercury capsule recovery. Routine training operations ended abruptly in October 1962 when the PERRY and Destroyer Squadron 6 were ordered to the Caribbean as part of the quarantine force during the Cuban Missile Crisis. She became a casualty of heavy fog off the Florida coast and suffered severe damage to her bow in an early morning collision with a sulphur-laden barge in March 1964. The following month she went into the Boston Naval Shipyard for her FRAM I conversion. A second, more deadly collision occurred in September 1965 off the west coast of Italy when the carrier SHANGRI-LA (CV-38) crushed the destroyer’s bow, killing one sailor and injuring another.

In the fall of 1966, the PERRY served with the Seventh Fleet in the Gulf of Tonkin, Gulf of Thailand, and the South China Sea. In the Mekong Delta area of South Vietnam at 2115 on the night of 23 November, her gunners opened fire for the first time in combat and over the next three weeks expended more than 4,000 rounds of ammunition on enemy trenches, buildings, and supply routes. Her fire in support of friendly troops earned praise from air and ground spotters for outstanding accuracy. The PERRY left the Mekong Delta to fire in support of Green Berets and Special Forces on the island of Phu Quoc near the Cambodia-Vietnam border. By the time the ship headed back to the Mekong, her big guns had fired over 3,000 rounds. On one occasion she  fired sixty-one rounds in seventeen minutes against an enemy shore battery. Her guns fired night and day, stopping only long enough for an underway replenishment of  fuel, food, and ammunition. In twenty-six days on the gun line, the PERRY replenished nineteen times. She ended the year on Yankee Station in the Tonkin Gulf as support ship for the nuclear-powered cruiser LONG BEACH (CGN-9) and as standby search and rescue ship for downed pilots.

Her missions in 1967 involved plane guard duty for the fast attack carriers KITTY HAWK (CVA-63) and BON HOMME RICHARD (CV-31). Operations were a “true test of seamanship on the part of all hands” according to her skipper, Commander J. A. Smith. “It was monsoon season, and the weather was terrible with seas running so high that the ship was taking water on the decks most of the time. In spite of this, we had to be ready at any moment to rescue pilots having to ‘ditch’ before reaching the carrier’s flight decks.” Later she steamed north to provide gun support, fuel, water, and other supplies to smaller ships operating in the area. On her final combat mission, she operated with the MULLANY (DD-528) and the BON HOMME RICHARD in the Tonkin Gulf.

Operations out of Newport, in the Mediterranean and North Atlantic, and in the Caribbean took her into 1973 when she assumed duties as a reserve training ship steaming out of Fall River, Massachusetts, and Newport. While in Sandy Hook Channel in January 1975, the PERRY struck an uncharted object, which required a yard period to fix her starboard propeller and close a hole that flooded the forward engine room. Repairs completed, the destroyer returned to reserve training operations, serving at various times with the DACE (SSN-607), EDSON (DD-946), and CECIL and ended 1978 undergoing an overhaul. Regular duties took her to 27 February 1981when she was decommissioned and transferred to the South Korean navy as the KYONG-KI.

USS NEWMAN K. PERRY DD-883 Ship History

Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, April 2016

Newman K. Perry (DD-883) was laid down by the Consolidated Steel Corp., Orange, Texas, 10 October 1944; launched 17 March 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Laura P. Gunter, sister of Ens. N. K. Perry; and commissioned 26 July 1945, Comdr. Norman E. Smith in command.

Following shakedown, Newman K. Perry served briefly with the Atlantic Fleet. On 7 November 1945, she got underway for Pearl Harbor, whence she sailed to Japan for three month’s occupation duty. She returned to Pearl Harbor 28 March 1946 and was assigned to Joint Task Force 1 for operation “Crossroads,” the 1946 atomic bomb test series at Bikini. Sailing for the Marshalls 27 May, she witnessed tests “Able” and “Baker” and, in August, steamed for the United States.

On 18 August she arrived at San Diego whence she operated until 25 August 1947. Then, with DesDiv 132, she headed west, arriving at Yokosuka 13 September. Three days later she sailed to Tsingtao to commence a, series of patrol, escort, search and rescue, ASW, and hydrographic survey missions and exercises along the China coast and off Taiwan and Okinawa. Relieved 5 May 1948, she returned to San Diego, trained naval reservists through the summer and in October entered the Mare Island shipyard for overhaul.

The destroyer departed San Francisco 15 January 1949 and until April conducted exercises off the west coast. On 4 April, she departed San Diego with DesDiv 182 for Newport, her new homeport, arriving 21 April.

After her return to Destroyer Forces, Atlantic Fleet, she rotated tours with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean and midshipmen and reservist training cruises, and fleet, squadron and type training exercises with the 2nd Fleet. Redesignated a radar picket destroyer in 1950, she conducted her scheduled operations as DDR-883 until 1964 when she resumed the designation DD-883. A change in operations in 1959 took her to Charleston, S. C., which served as her homeport for several years before she resumed operations out of Newport.

A second change in operations took her to the Western Pacific for her overseas deployment in 1966. Departing Newport with DesDiv 201, 4 October, she transited the Panama Canal, stopped in Hawaii, Japan, Okinawa and the Philippines, and arrived on station in the Mekong Delta of South Viet Nam 23 November. Assigned to fire support duties, she shelled enemy coastal storage areas until the 28th. She then shifted to Phu Quoc island, off the Cambodian-South Vietnamese border, to support Viet Namese and Special Forces units for five days, returning to the Delta area in December. Other assignments on that tour with the 7th Fleet took her along the coast to the DMZ and then to the Gulf of Tonkin for planeguard and search and rescue missions. On 8 March 1967, she departed the combat zone for Hong Kong before returning to Subic Bay for the last time. On the 27th she departed the Philippines for the Mediterranean and Newport, arriving 8 May.

After overhaul at Boston, Newman K. Perry began 1968, with Caribbean exercises and on 4 April departed Newport for the Mediterranean to resume her annual deployments with the 6th Fleet. She has maintained that schedule into 1970.