The Tin Can Sailors 2024 National Reunion Will Be Held In Exciting, Historic New Orleans From Sept. 8th-12th. Register Now! Check Our Facebook Page For More Announcements.


Hull Number: DDG-20

Launch Date: 12/15/1961

Commissioned Date: 11/09/1963

Decommissioned Date: 04/29/1993

Call Sign: NOZX




Data for USS Cochrane (DDG-21) as of 1982

Length Overall: 440’ 3"

Beam: 44’ 11 1/2"

Draft: 16’ 0"

Standard Displacement: 3,527 tons

Full Load Displacement: 4,642 tons

Fuel capacity: 736 tons


Two 5″/54 caliber guns
One ASROC Launcher
Two 12.75″ triple anti-submarine torpedo tubes
One Mark 13 Mod 0 Guided Missile Launching System (Tartar)


22 Officers
21 Chief Petty Officers
298 Enlisted


4 Boilers
2 General Electric Turbines: 70,000 horsepower

Highest speed on trials: 35 knots



Wikipedia (as of 2024)

Louis Malesherbes Goldsborough (February 18, 1805 – February 20, 1877) was a rear admiral in the United States Navy during the American Civil War. He held several sea commands during the Civil War, including that of the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron. He was also noted for contributions to nautical scientific research.

His younger brother, John R. Goldsborough, was also a U.S. Navy officer who served during the Civil War and who later became a commodore.

Louis Malesherbes Goldsborough was born in Washington, D.C., in 1805, the son of a chief clerk at the United States Department of the Navy.[2] He was appointed midshipman in the United States Navy by Secretary of the Navy Paul Hamilton on June 28, 1812. At the time of his appointment, he was seven years old, and Goldsborough did not actually begin serving until February 13, 1816, when he reported for duty at the Washington Navy Yard.

In 1831 Goldsborough married Elizabeth Wirt, daughter of William Wirt, U.S. Attorney General from 1817 to 1829. Together, they had three children: William, Louis, and Elizabeth.

In 1833, after helping lead German emigrants to Wirt’s Estates near Monticello, Florida, Goldsborough took leave from the Navy to command a steamboat expedition, and later mounted volunteers in the Seminole War.

During the Aegean Anti-Piracy Campaign, Goldsborough led a four-boat night expedition from Porpoise in October 1827 to rescue British merchant brig Comet from Mediterranean pirates. In 1830 he was appointed first officer in charge of the newly created Depot of Charts and Instruments at Washington, the crude beginning of the United States Hydrographic Office. Goldsborough suggested creation of the depot and initiated the collection and centralization of the instruments, books and charts that were scattered among several Navy yards. After two years he was relieved by Lieutenant Charles Wilkes.

After cruising the Pacific in the frigate United States, he participated in the bombardment of Veracruz in Ohio during the Mexican–American War. He served consecutively as: commander of a detachment in the expedition against Tuxpan; senior officer of a commission which explored California and Oregon (1849–1850); superintendent of the United States Naval Academy (1853–1857); and commander of the Brazil Squadron (1859–1861).

Goldsborough was given command of the Atlantic Blockading Squadron in September 1861, relieving Flag Officer Silas H. Stringham. In October of that year the Atlantic squadron was split into the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron and South Atlantic Blockading Squadron; Goldsborough took command of the North squadron, and Flag Officer Samuel Francis DuPont assumed command of the South squadron. On January 3, 1862, both officers were promoted to the newly created rank of Flag Officer (equivalent to the rank of Commodore which would be created 5 months later). During his command of the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, which he commanded from its inception to September 1862, he led his fleet off North Carolina, where in cooperation with troops under General Ambrose Burnside, he captured Roanoke Island and destroyed a small Confederate fleet.

After aiding the capture of Roanoke Island, Goldsborough and his command were sent to Hampton Roads at the request of Major General George B. McClellan to help protect Union forces landing on the Virginia Peninsula at the start of the Peninsula Campaign. Goldsborough refused to be placed under McClellan’s direct command, telling Assistant Secretary of the Navy Gustavus Vasa Fox that he would instead cooperate with McClellan. After sending six of his vessels to attack the Gloucester Point batteries, Goldsborough withdrew them, saying the area was too dangerous for his ships—even though none of them sustained any damage—and fearful of a return appearance by CSS Virginia, which had laid waste to a Union naval force in Hampton Roads while Goldsborough was at Roanoke Island.[3]

At the start of the Seven Days Battles, Goldsborough was asked again, this time by President Abraham Lincoln, to come to McClellan’s aid. Goldsborough continued to hold back his fleet, forcing Lincoln to accept a recommendation by Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles to detach ships under Goldsborough’s command and place them under Commodore Charles Wilkes, who as a lieutenant had relieved Goldsborough at the Depot of Charts and Instruments (see above), and who would report directly to Welles. This move, coupled with newspaper accounts critical of the Navy, so seriously hurt Goldsborough that he requested that he be relieved. He was promoted to rear admiral in August 1862, and in September passed command of the squadron to Acting Rear Admiral Samuel Phillips Lee. Goldsborough would finish the war performing administrative duties in Washington, D.C.[4]

In June 1865, Goldsborough became the first commander of the European Squadron, formerly the Mediterranean Squadron. In 1868, Goldsborough returned to Washington and took command of the Washington Navy Yard, a position he held until he retired in 1873.

Rear Admiral Louis M. Goldsborough died in Washington, D.C., on February 20, 1877.[5]


To Australia for spares 9/17/1993.


Wikipedia (as of 2024)

USS Goldsborough (DDG-20) was a Charles F. Adams–class guided missile-armed destroyer. It was named for Rear Admiral Louis M. Goldsborough USN (1805–1877).

Goldsborough was laid down by the Puget Sound Bridge and Drydock Company at Seattle in Washington on 3 January 1961, was launched on 15 December 1961 by Mrs. Alan Bible, wife of U.S. Senator Alan Bible of Nevada, and commissioned on 9 November 1963, Captain Charles D. Allen, Jr., in command.

Goldsborough joined the Pacific Fleet on 25 December 1963, as a unit of Cruiser-Destroyer Force with her home port at Pearl HarborHawaii.

After her shakedown tests out of Puget Sound, the new guided missile destroyer arrived at Pearl Harbor on 14 February 1964. Following qualification and acceptance tests, she sailed on 18 April for Sydney, Australia, for the Coral Sea celebration and returned to Pearl Harbor on 1 June. She operated in Hawaiian waters in the summer and early fall, and went underway on 23 November for Yokosuka and her first West Pacific deployment. After operations strengthening the 7th Fleet during the escalating war in VietnamGoldsborough returned to Pearl Harbor for anti-submarine warfare training. In June 1965, she was outfitted with a capsule retrieval device and participated in the Gemini IV Space Program as back up Pacific recovery ship.

The guided missile destroyer headed for the Orient once more on 9 February 1966 to bolster the 7th Fleet. In April she provided gunfire support for Operation “Binh Phu I firing about 600 rounds of 5-inch ammunition at Viet Cong troop concentrations and buildings. During the last half of the month she screened attack carriers at Yankee Station. Next came SEATO exercises in May and duty as station ship at Hong Kong in June. On 26 June Goldsborough was again off Vietnam on picket station. She sailed for Hawaii on 16 July and reached Pearl Harbor on the 23d.

While in berth at Pearl Harbor on 24 November 1965, an anti-submarine torpedo was discharged from the ship accidentally and hit the pier.

In August 1966, Goldsborough entered the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard for overhaul and extensive modification. In 1967 she participated in “Operation Sea Dragon“, designed to interdict the North Vietnamese lines of supply into the Republic of Vietnam, and provided Naval Gunfire Support along the Vietnamese DMZ. During this deployment Goldsborough fired nearly 10,000 rounds in support of allied forces and avoided over 800 rounds of hostile fire without damage to the ship. She was awarded the Naval Unit Commendation for exceptionally meritorious service in Vietnamese waters from 29 August 1967 to 17 February 1968 upon her return to Pearl Harbor.

In November 1968 Goldsborough made her fourth Western Pacific deployment in five years, participating in eighty-eight gunfire missions in support of Vietnam, Republic of Korea, and U. S. Marine and Army forces.

In 1969 Goldsborough participated in the Apollo 11 Recovery Mission. The command module Columbia splashed down about 200 nautical miles south of Johnston Island at 12:50 GMT 24 July 1969.

After a yard period in 1970, Goldsborough made a fifth West-Pac tour, departing Pearl in August and returning in February 1971. Again she provided Naval Gunfire Support for allied troops, and carried out carrier escort duties in the Gulf of Tonkin. Later that year she visited Portland, Oregon, for the 1971 Rose Festival.

In September 1971 Goldsborough departed on her sixth deployment to the Western Pacific, providing Naval Gunfire Support for allied ground troops and performing carrier escort services.

Goldsborough underway in 1977

In early 1972 she was assigned to the recovery Task Force for Apollo 16. Departing again on 13 October 1972 for her seventh deployment to the Western Pacific, this would be her last trip to the “gunline” of Vietnam. On 19 December, while conducting a combat mission Goldsborough was hit by coastal artillery fire. The shore battery put a hole five feet wide through an upper deck, killing three sailors and wounding several others.[1] The ship’s crew received a Meritorious Unit Commendation for service between October 1972 and February 1973. The ship returned to Pearl Harbor in May 1973.

In mid-1976 after leaving port in Singapore, and conducting Shellback initiations, the Goldsborough was ordered to the Indian Ocean with the Ranger Task Force in response to the Operation Entebbe. She was low on supplies during the initial days in the Indian Ocean, but supply ships soon caught up with the group. The Ranger Task force remained on station for approximately 30 days showing the flag.

In November 1982, a seaman was killed when heavy seas tossed him against a stanchion. He was the only fatality when Hurricane Iwa struck Hawaii.[2]

In 1988 the Goldsborough deployed with a battlegroup centered around the aircraft carrier Carl Vinson, CVN-70. The battlegroup supported Operation Earnest Will, conducting missions in and around the Straits of Hormuz and the Persian Gulf. Goldsborough had received the New Threat Upgrade (NTU),giving her advanced sensor and communications capabilities. As such the ship frequently was assigned to the Straits of Hormuz, Eastern Patrol Area (SOHEPA) to monitor air activity inside Iranian borders. At the end of the deployment, Goldsborough made port visits to Pattaya Beach, Thailand, Hong Kong, and Subic Bay in the Philippines.Goldsborough suffered minor damage while passing through Typhoon Roy en route to Hong Kong.

Goldsborough was decommissioned and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 29 April 1993.[3] The ship was sold to Australia on 17 September[citation needed] 1993 for US $2,337,462.[4][5] The Royal Australian Navy intended to remove equipment from the ship to establish training facilities for maintenance personnel from their Perth-class destroyers (derivatives of the Charles F. Adams-class).[4] At the time, most training was conducted in the United States; as such it was expensive to continually fly sailors between the United States and Australia,[4] and with the Charles F. Adams class phasing out of service, was likely to be terminated anyway.[citation needed] Goldsborough would also be used as a source of spare parts for the Perth class.[4]

The ship was towed from Hawaii to Australia at a cost of A$559,706,[6][verification needed] and arrived in Sydney on 2 February 1994, then was berthed at Fleet Base East.[4] A four-man team set about removing equipment for installation at the new training facility, and for the Australian destroyers.[5] While in Australian hands, the team painted the number 40 on the bow, filling a gap in the pennant number sequence for their three destroyers.[5] After all usable equipment had been stripped, Goldsborough was sold to an Indian company in August 1994 for ship breaking.[5]