SAVE THE DATE! The Tin Can Sailors 2024 National Reunion Will Be Held In Exciting, Historic New Orleans From Sept. 8th-12th. Register Now! Check Our Facebook Page For More Announcements.

Hull Number: DDG-59

Launch Date: 10/20/1993

Commissioned Date: 03/20/1995

Call Sign: NEVV





Wikipedia (as of 2024)

Rear Admiral John Henry Russell (4 July 1827 – 1 April 1897) was an officer of the United States Navy during the Mexican–American War and the American Civil War.[1]

Russell was born at FrederickMaryland on 4 July 1827 to Sir James Henry Russell and Martha Wilson Russell. He was appointed midshipman on 10 September 1841 and served in the sloop of war Cyane in the Pacific until 1843. He returned in the frigate United States in 1844 and served in St. Mary’s in the Gulf of Mexico from 1844 to 1846. He participated in operations at GalvestonCorpus ChristiBrazosResaca, and Vera Cruz.[1]

After duty in Allegheny in 1847, he graduated at the United States Naval Academy in 1848. Briefly assigned to United States Coast Survey duty, he made a cruise to Brazil in 1849, then served on the New YorkWest Indies mail line from 1853 to 1856, and served as navigator in Vincennes during explorations of the North Pacific and Arctic Oceans. Assigned to the Mediterranean Squadron at the end of the decade, he returned to the United States and ordnance duty at the Washington Navy Yard just prior to the outbreak of the American Civil War.[1]

In April 1861, he assisted in preventing ships at Norfolk from falling to the enemy; and, in September, he led a boat expedition into Pensacola Harbor to destroy the Confederate privateer Judah. He next assumed command of the gunboat Kennebec and participated in operations on the Mississippi River up to Vicksburg and served in the blockade of Mobile. Commanding Pontiac in 1863, he returned to ordnance duty at Washington in 1864 and to the Pacific Squadron to serve as commanding officer of Cyane in 1864–65.[1]

Various duties, afloat and ashore, on both coasts, Atlantic and Pacific, followed, and he completed his last assignment, three years as Commandant of the Mare Island Navy Yard, in 1886. Appointed rear admiral on 4 March 1886, he retired on 27 August, and resided in Washington, D.C., until his death on 1 April 1897.[1]

Admiral Russell’s son, Major General John H. Russell Jr., was a career officer in the United States Marine Corps who rose to become the Commandant of the Marine Corps. His granddaughter was Brooke Astor, a noted philanthropist and socialite.[1]

John Henry Russell Jr. (November 14, 1872 – March 6, 1947) was a major general and 16th Commandant of the Marine Corps.

His only child was Brooke Astor, a noted philanthropist, who lived to be 105.

Russell was born on November 14, 1872, in Mare Island, California, the son of Rear Admiral John Henry Russell (1827–1897). He was appointed to the United States Naval Academy by President Grover Cleveland in May 1888 and graduated from the Academy in June 1892 and after two years at sea. He passed his final examinations and was transferred to the Marine Corps as a second lieutenant on July 1, 1894.

USMC officers stationed at Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C., in 1896. Then-Second Lieutenant Russell is third from the left.

Upon appointment as an officer in the Marine Corps, he attended the School of Application at the Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C., graduating in 1895. He was retained for another year at the school to conduct a class for noncommissioned officers.

In 1896, he joined USS MassachusettsNorth Atlantic Squadron, serving on board until after the Spanish–American War. The commanding officer of the vessel addressed a letter to the Secretary of the Navy commenting favorably on the conduct and performance of duty of John H. Russell in action and recommending recognition thereof by the Navy Department.

He next performed duty on Guam and upon his return to the United States was placed in charge of the School of Application for Officers at the Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C. Following this tour of duty, and also duty at several navy yards, he was ordered to command the Marine DetachmentUSS Oregon, remaining on board from September 1902 to March 1904. His next shore duty was in command of the school for young officers established at the Marine Barracks, Annapolis, Maryland. In 1906, he was transferred to the Marine Barracks, Naval Station, HonoluluTerritory of Hawaii. From that duty he was ordered to Camp Elliott, Panama Canal Zone, to command the Marines at that station.

In September 1908, he joined the Naval War CollegeNewport, Rhode Island, for duty as a member of the staff of that college, remaining there until 1910, and it was during this tour of service that the “applicatory method” of instruction was put into effect.

He commanded the Marine Detachment, American Legation, Peking, China, from November 14, 1910, to April 30, 1913. The change in the Chinese government from an empire to a republic, which took place during this period, and the attendant disorders in and around Peking made this tour of duty particularly interesting and difficult.

Upon his return to the United States, he was assigned duty in the Office of Naval Intelligence, Navy Department, where he served until 1917, with the exception of a tour of duty (temporary) from April 30 to December 5, 1914, commanding the 2d Battalion, 3d Regiment, U.S. Marines at Verz CruzMexico, being detached to the U.S. Army during the period.

Early in March 1917, he assumed command of the 3rd Regiment, with headquarters in Santo Domingo City, Dominican Republic, and within a short period of time he was detached and ordered to command the 4th Regiment of Marines with headquarters at Santiago de los Caballeros, where he remained until October 1917, when he was detached and ordered to the Republic of Haiti to command the Marine Brigade serving in that country. He served in that capacity until December 7, 1918.

His repeated efforts for a transfer to detachments serving in France during World War I were finally successful, but delay in arrival of his relief in Haiti did not permit transfer from Port-au-Prince until after the Armistice was signed.

Upon arrival in Washington, he was ordered to duty in command of the “Planning Section” at Headquarters Marine Corps and served in that capacity until September 1919, when he again was ordered to duty in Haiti to command the 1st Brigade of Marines, serving in that capacity until February 1922, when, upon the unanimous recommendation to the President by the U.S. Senate Committee that had been investigating affairs in Haiti, he was appointed American High Commissioner to Haiti with the rank of Ambassador Extraordinary. Maj. Gen. Russell served with distinction in Haiti as High Commissioner until November 1930.

Upon his return to the United States, he was assigned to duty as Commanding General, Marine Corps Base, San Diego, California, and was transferred to command the Marine Barracks, Quantico, Virginia, in December 1931. He was detailed as Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps at Headquarters Marine Corps in February 1933. Major General Russell was appointed Commandant of the Marine Corps on March 1, 1934, and remained in that position until his retirement December 1, 1936.

During Major General Russell’s tenure as Commandant of the Marine Corps, the old system of seniority promotions of officers was changed to that of advancement by selection; the 1st Marine Brigade was withdrawn from Haiti; the Fleet Marine Force assumed a new importance; the Reserves were given more attention; and the number of ships carrying Marine detachments continued to increase.

Major General Russell retired after 42 years of commissioned service and continued in an active career as a military journalist.

He was a hereditary member of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States in succession to his father.

While stationed at the Marine Barracks in Washington, D.C., he married Mabel Cecile Hornby Howard (1879–1967) on June 12, 1901.[1] Together, they had one child:

Russell died in Coronado, California, on March 6, 1947, and was buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

USS RUSSELL DDG-59 Ship History

Wikipedia (as of 2024)

USS Russell (DDG-59) is an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer in the United States Navy. She is the second ship of the USN to carry the name Russell and is named for Rear Admiral John Henry Russell and his son, Commandant of the Marine Corps John Henry Russell, Jr.

In May 2004, Russell departed for a four-month deployment along with several ships including USCGC MellonUSS SalvorUSS Fort McHenry, and USS McCampbell. The deployment was centered on an annual exercise called Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) 2004.

On 15 April 2006, Russell provided aid to a fishing vessel in distress while operating in the South China Sea.[4]

On 16 February 2007, Russell was awarded the 2006 Battle “E” award.[5]

On 21 February 2008, Russell participated, along with USS Lake Erie and USS Decatur, in the interception and destruction of the dying US satellite US 193. Between 17 and 21 May 2008, Russell participated in Exercise KhunjarHaad, a multi-national exercise held in the Gulf of Oman. Other participating warships included the French frigate Surcouf, the British frigate HMS Montrose, the British fleet replenishment tanker RFA Wave Knight, and four other coalition ships conducted air defense; surface warfare operation; visit, board, search and seizure (VBSS); and joint gunnery exercises, which focused on joint interoperability training and proficiency.[6]

In June 2008, Russell rescued about 70 people from a disabled boat in the Gulf of Aden.[7]

In January 2013, Russells crew completed a hull swap with the crew of USS Halsey at Naval Base San DiegoRussell is now permanently stationed in San Diego. Halsey was moved to Russell’s former homeport, Joint Base Pearl Harbor–Hickam, with the former Russell crew.

On 4 June 2020, Russell conducted a transit of the Taiwan Strait.[8]