USS EDWARDS DD-265 Ship History
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (Published 1963)
Edwards (DD-265) was launched 10 October 1918 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Squantum, MA; sponsored by Miss Julia Edwards Noyes, whose great grandfather was the uncle of Midshipman Edwards, and commissioned 24 April 1919 at Boston Navy Yard, Commander P. L. Wilson in command.
In May 1919 Edwards carried spare parts for airplanes and seaplanes to St. John’s, Newfoundland, as reserves for the historic first transatlantic seaplane flight made by Navy planes. She sailed from Boston 28 May to report to Commander, US Naval Forces in Europe, for duty with the Food Administration. Arriving at Gibraltar in June, she took part in escorting George Washington carrying President Wilson into Brest, then visited England and Germany before returning to the States 25 August.
Assigned to the Pacific Fleet, Edwards sailed from New York 17 September 1919 and arrived at the destroyer base at San Diego 13 October where she was placed in reduced commission with a partial complement 1 November 1919. In February 1920 she moved to Puget Sound Navy Yard, but returned to San Diego a year later where she remained in reserve, occasionally putting to sea for target practice. She was placed out of commission in June 1922.
Recommissioned 18 December 1939, Edwards was assigned to the Neutrality Patrol, and after overhaul, left the west coast 22 March for Galveston. She patrolled the Gulf and east coast until fall, then sailed to Halifax, where she was decommissioned 8 October 1940, and delivered to the British Government as one of the famous 50 destroyers exchanged for bases.
Commissioned in the Royal Navy 8 October 1940 as HMS Buxton for service in the third “Town” Flotilla, the over-age destroyer served in Canadian waters briefly as the U-boat war intensified. She was then allocated to 6th Escort Group, Western Approaches Command, for dangerous and vital duty keeping the supply line open to Britain. In October 1943, when newer escorts were available, she was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy, and stationed at Digby, Nova Scotia, until the end of 1944. She was finally paid off early in 1945.